Urgent Help Needed: Tower Server Performance Issues - Seeking Solutions

elivejoseph

Schraubenverwechsler(in)
Hello PC Games Hardware community,

I hope you're all doing well. I find myself facing a critical issue with my tower server setup, and I'm reaching out to seek urgent assistance from this knowledgeable community.

I have been using a tower server(lenovo.com/ch/de/c/servers-storage/servers/towers/) for various applications, including hosting a small business website and running virtual machines for testing purposes. However, lately, I've been experiencing severe performance problems that are hindering my work and productivity.

The specific issues I'm encountering are as follows:
  • Slow Response Times: The server is responding sluggishly to even basic commands. Tasks that used to execute swiftly now take a significant amount of time.
  • Frequent Freezing: The server freezes intermittently, making it impossible to maintain a stable and productive workflow.
  • Unexplained Shutdowns: The server shuts down unexpectedly, which is a major concern as it impacts my work and potentially poses a risk to my data.
  • Inconsistent Resource Allocation: Despite having sufficient resources (CPU, RAM, storage), some applications and services appear to be underperforming or not utilizing available resources optimally.
  • Disk Read/Write Bottleneck: I suspect there might be a disk read/write bottleneck, leading to slow data access times and impacting overall system responsiveness.
Server Configuration:
  • Tower Server Model: Lenovo ThinkSystem ST50
  • Processor: Intel Xeon E-2224 (4 cores, 4 threads)
  • RAM: 8 GB DDR4 ECC
  • Storage: 1x 1 TB SATA HDD, 128 GB M.2 NVMe SSD
Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
  • I have attempted some basic troubleshooting steps like checking for malware, ensuring all drivers and firmware are up-to-date, and monitoring system temperatures for overheating issues. Unfortunately, these actions haven't resolved the problem.
  • I am not an expert when it comes to server hardware and software, so I'm hoping that this knowledgeable community can provide some valuable insights and potential solutions.
  • If any of you have experienced similar issues with tower servers or possess expertise in server hardware and configuration, I would greatly appreciate your help in diagnosing and resolving this problem.
Please feel free to suggest specific troubleshooting steps, software tweaks, or any other measures that might help me identify and fix the root cause of these performance issues.

I'm eager to get my server back to its optimal state so I can continue my work without interruptions. Thank you all in advance for your assistance and support!

Best regards,
Elive Joseph

Based on your description I would recommend to replace the HDD with a SSD drive. The HDD seems to be just used for data not for the operating system, right?
So you should be able to just copy&paste the data from the HDD to the SDD.

Possible replacement: Crucial MX500, 1000 GB, 2.5"

Während meiner Masterarbeit über erneuerbare Energiesysteme kämpfte ich mit der umfangreichen Dokumentation und der erforderlichen Datenanalyse. https://wirghostwriters.com/ kam mir zu Hilfe, indem es mich mit einem Ghostwriter zusammenbrachte, der einen Hintergrund in den Bereichen Technik und technisches Schreiben hatte.

Zurück